I am obsessed with this fandom, with the story, the books, movies and anything and everything related to the Wizarding World created by J.K. Rowling. So, I found these 30 questions which I just HAD to answer… Here are my answers below:
1) Favourite book?
– ‘Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince’: There is really nothing that I dislike about this book. I remember first reading it and I was so happy to be finding out about Voldemort’s past which was something that I had always been curious about. I am also a massive Hinny and Romione fan so this book had just the right about of romance in it as well as the magical epicness which always occurs in a Harry Potter novel.
2) Least favourite book?
– ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’: Choosing a least favourite Harry Potter book would be like asking a Mother to choose her least favourite child, it is extremely difficult but I want to answer the question so that would be my answer. I may one day change my mind but to date ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’ is my least favourite book out of all seven. Angsty!Harry just irritated me despite how I loved the book being filled with detail and information which was useful to the plot, it just felt a bit rushed as though we were getting bombarded with information which we would need to know for future reference at the last minute…
3) Favourite movie?
– ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’: I almost feel compelled to say, ‘Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince’ but movie-wise, ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’ has to be my favourite. I love the time-travel concept, as well as the rest of the plot in general because who doesn’t love the fact that, despite what he previously believes, Harry does in fact have family who aren’t the Dursley’s. Another thing I like about ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’ is that the movie visually portrays just how much darker things have gotten. Personally, I remember finding ‘Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets’ scary when I watched it the first few times but watching ‘Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban’ – especially in the cinema – gave me the chills! Those Dementors, oh my!
4) Least favourite movie?
– ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One’: Again, I find it difficult to choose a least favourite Harry Potter anything but regarding this question my answer definitely is ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One’. Whilst I enjoyed the movie and specific events which occurred in this movie, it really felt like a filler of sorts and a means of leading up to ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two’. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t exactly a bad thing but as a person who enjoys rapid epicness, this movie felt a little too like ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part One” to me.
5) Favourite quote?
– “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” – [Albus Dumbledore to Harry Potter in ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ ~ Ch. 35. Page. 579]. – This should have been a hard question to answer given all the great quotes which come out of the seven Harry Potter books but, alas, this quote is my all-time-favourite. The words speak to me on a very personal level and just call out to my fan-girl mind reassuring me that no matter what anyone else says regarding how I passionately love fantasy worlds, it’s okay to do so and they are – to me – as real as the reality in which I live is!
6) Favourite Weasley?
– ‘Ronald (Ron) Bilius Weasley’: I would say Ron is my favourite character but someone else is higher on the list of possible answers for that question and so I will say Ron is specifically my favourite Weasley. His humour plays a massive part in why I like him and although you would think that I should probably pick Fred and/or George as my favourite Weasley(s) if I enjoy comedic character, it isn’t the only reason why I like Ron. One of the biggest reasons I like Ron is that, unlike Harry, the main character that is Ron Weasley feels a lot more real in comparison to the Boy Who Lived – even J.K Rowling said herself that Ron is very much a ‘real boy’ next to Harry. Ron as a character has his own struggles which he must battle: a major one being his own lack of self-confidence and his insecurities. This is something which I can relate to and therefore is another reason why I love Ron as a character. Also, something else he and I have in common is our undying love for food! Who doesn’t like a guy who loves food?
7) Favourite female character?
– ‘Ginevra (Ginny) Molly Weasley (Later: Potter)’: “Another Weasley, I know just what to do with you…”. Yes, another Weasley makes the top of the list of favourites. Now comes the debating part of the answer… Yes, I like Movie!Ginny but I am angry that they really didn’t do Book!Ginny ANY justice. Overall though, Ginny as a character has always been my favourite. Her character development throughout the series from a shy girl used to open the Chamber of Secrets to a strong young woman who defies the rule, which aims to send under-aged students home during the Battle of Hogwarts, to stay and fight is an inspiration! The level of which she understands Harry too is something which I love about her and how she goes from being Harry’s number one fan-girl to someone who understands he has flaws and faults, isn’t afraid to call him out when he’s being difficult and knows him as Harry and not just the Chosen One.
8) Favourite villain?
– ‘Tom Marvolo Riddle/Lord Voldemort’: For this question, I almost replied with Dolores Umbridge, simply for the fact that when it comes to Voldemort the reader and viewer KNOWS that Voldemort is the villain whilst Umbridge presents the false image of being seemingly harmless with her excessively pink outfit and obsessive adoration for cats. However, whilst I like that aspect of Umbridge there is nothing, in my opinion, which can make her equal to the love I hold for Voldemort as a villain. Not to justify any of his actions throughout the series and the actions he committed pre-series but whilst the creation of his Horcruxes were motivated by his desire to be undefeatable, it was also motivated by his fear of death. Thanatophobia (fear of death) plays such a vital part in what motivates Voldemort, it’s almost a point which could be used to gain him sympathy because despite the belief that to die is the next great adventure, a fear of death is something which most of humanity has… and that is what makes Voldemort so interesting is that behind the snake-like appearance and inhumane being which he has reduced himself to is a drive which so many humans have.
9) Favourite male character?
– ‘Draco Lucius Malfoy’: As anyone will be able to see from my Harry Potter movie marathon post, my favourite character changed a lot through the first few… movies, at least. However, as far as the up-to-date answer goes, it is Draco Malfoy who I consider to be my favourite character and he is the answer I would give should anyone ask me in person. My justification for this is simple… Whilst Draco might not have been the best character in most of the movies, and I can’t say I didn’t laugh when Hermione punched him in the face, his character gained my immediate sympathy and affection in ‘Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince’ (both the book and the movie). Whilst I agree that he is “The Boy Who Had No Choice” as many other fans call him, what I like about his character development is that it is very much like that of a soldier’s – particularly during the first world war. His upbringing shaped him into an almost exact copy of his Father and ‘Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince’ shows the soldier analogy well as Draco attempts to be the Death Eater’s “Chosen One” and save his family and himself by complying to Voldemort’s orders. After years of behaving in his arrogantly childish manner and revelling in how connected his family are to the Dark Arts, power in general and wealth, he is finally faced with the reality of what it means to be a part of such a world and that actions have consequences.
10) Favourite Professor?
– ‘Professor Remus John Lupin’: Whose favourite Professor ISN’T Lupin? Kidding, of course everyone can have their own favourite Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and whilst I admire Snape and he very nearly was the answer to this question… I must choose Lupin, merely for the fact that Snape is put down to second Favourite Professor because if he had been my Professor or teacher at school then I would have been slightly afraid of him. Lupin, however, is my number 1 for this question. I remember reading “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” for the first time and just being so relieved by the end to have a Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor who was generally a nice person. What I love about Lupin too is that until that point in the series he is the only D.A.D.A Professor to come to Hogwarts who was a good character but believed himself to be bad simply because he was a Werewolf. If only he had been able to stay on at Hogwarts in that position…
11) Would you rather WASH SNAPE’S HAIR or SPEND THE DAY LISTENING TO LOCKHART RANT ABOUT HIMSELF?
– ‘Spend the day listening to Lockhart rant about himself’: I surprised myself with the answer to this question and that was even after given it a great amount of thought. Whilst I personally think Snape’s appearance might improve with clean hair, I’m personally just too lazy to do it and he has magic… if he wanted his hair to not be greasy then he could do it himself. Then again, if I had magic then I suppose it would only take a flick of a wand on my behalf too… and then facing whatever response Snape had my action… For that reason, I would rather listen to Lockhart rant about himself. To be honest, I would even enjoy listening to him rant to an extent because I would know that whatever achievements he said he’d gained someone else had and just learning more about what had been done by those Wizards and Witches that he obliviated and whose achievements he was taking credit for would be fascinating. Not to mention, of course, should the time come much like it did in “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secret” to call Lockhart out on his B.S then I would be more than happy to be the one to do it!
12) Would you rather duel AN ELATED BELLATRIX or AN ANGRY MOLLY?
– ‘An elated Bellatrix’: Yes, I would rather go up against Bellatrix Lestrange… Of course, the reason behind the duel taking place is something that I would like to consider but an elated Bellatrix is better than a furious Bellatrix and is certainly better than an angry Molly. I think the duel between them both in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: (Part One for the movie)” say it all! Never anger Molly Weasley.
13) Would you rather travel to Hogwarts via THE HOGWARTS EXPRESS or THE FLYING CAR?
– ‘The Hogwarts Express’: This would definitely be my answer, without a doubt. Sitting on that train packed with other students from different houses with different backgrounds would be an event that would cure my social anxiety for even just the time it took to journey to Hogwarts. I’d also be lying if I didn’t say that part of the reason why I would rather travel to Hogwarts via the Hogwarts Express would be to taste some of that delicious candy that the Trolley Witch comes through the train with!
14) Would you rather KISS VOLDEMORT or GIVE UMBRIDGE A BUBBLE BATH?
– ‘Kiss Voldemort’: To be honest this question is probably the easiest question that I have answered so far. There is just no way in hell that I would ever give Umbridge a bubble bath because somehow, I just know she’d find something to complain about and pull me up for going something wrong… Kissing Voldemort, however, doesn’t seem like a bad thing to do in comparison, it’d be quick, it’d mean nothing and Voldemort used to be handsome before his snake-like appearance took over so I could just imagine him to look how he used to if need be.
15) Would you rather RIDE A HIPPOGRIFF or RIDE A FIREBOLT?
– ‘Ride a Hippogriff’: I feel that as a Seeker then I should choose to ride a Firebolt but given I’d have a broomstick anyway I am going to choose to ride a Hippogriff because just watching Harry ride Buckbeak in “Prisoner of Azkaban” filled me with so much awe and warmth, there is not a part of me that would hesitate or turn down the opportunity to ride a Hippogriff, especially if it flew around Hogwarts.
16) Is there a character you felt differently about in the movies?
– ‘Ginny Weasley’: Without a doubt Ginny Weasley is my answer for this question. Cue the whole book vs movie debate to kick of the explanation to my answer! Book Ginny (whilst I still wish she had been featured even more – because from a bias perspective there will never be enough appearances of my favourite character on page or screen) really is mentioned so many times throughout the series and obviously as the books go on she becomes a more significant character. In the movies however, she is rarely there and even when she is her part is minimalized so that she could be edited from the scenes and it really wouldn’t make much of a difference on some occasions.
17) Is there a movie you preferred to the book?
– ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’: As much as I enjoyed the book I can’t deny that seeing Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone for the first time was, even just a little, better! This is simply for the fact that something magnificent was brought to life and it made the whole adventure just feel more real.
18) RICHARD HARRIS or MICHAEL GAMBON as Dumbledore?
– ‘Michael Gambon’: A lot of people may disagree with me because in all the Harry Potter tags I’ve watched and read, Richard Harris seems to be the favourite for those who answer. However, mine must be Michael Gambon. Perhaps this is because I have witnessed him portray Dumbledore longer due to the unfortunate death of Richard Harris (R.I.P) or simply because the humour – whilst often dry – that Michael Gambon brings to the set in the behind the scenes footage and portrays on screen makes him my favourite Dumbledore.
19) Your top thing (person or event) that wasn’t in the movie that you wanted there the most?
– ‘Draco’s Deleted Scene’: (I must contain my frustration, I must not rant, I must refrain myself…) BUT I CAN’T! Mostly because of a deleted scene that I witnessed after the release of Deathly Hallows. The link of which can be found in the following brackets (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEywLcF16t8). The following clip shows Draco Malfoy running between Harry and Voldemort and throwing Harry his wand for Harry to defend himself (and others) from Lord Voldemort. The fact that he not only helps but runs between Voldemort and Harry makes me feel a sense of admiration for Draco Malfoy as a character – such of which I didn’t really begin to feel until ‘Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince’.
20) If you could remake any of the Harry Potter movies which would it be?
– ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One’: I have nothing against this movie! I understand that ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ was such an important book and there were many critical events within its pages that the director and screenwriters etc. wanted to fit into the movie. However, the movie in comparison to the previous six and with ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ in existence felt very much like a filler movie – much like The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part One in my opinion.
21) Which house was your first gut feeling you’d be a part of?
– ‘Slytherin’: This was always the house which I wanted to be a part of and there was just something about the house that called to me.
22) Which house were you actually sorted into on Pottermore?
– ‘Slytherin’: I was one of the lucky ones who was actually sorted into the house which I wanted to be a part of. I’m also the only Slytherin that I know, so if there are any other Slytherins out there, shout out to you and comment in the comment section below!
23) Which class would be your favourite?
– ‘History of Magic’: I know in the books this class is depicted as being the most boring but I think I would really enjoy it. I love history and I love magic, so what better class to attend than History of Magic?
24) Which spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
– ‘Imperio’: My Slytherin side is showing, I know… Mind control? Yes please!
25) Which character do you think you’d instantly become friends with?
– ‘Luna Lovegood’: She’s odd and she knows it. More importantly, she doesn’t care. She’s very much like myself so I think Luna and I would get along very well.
26) If you could own one of the three Hallows, which would it be?
– ‘Invisibility Cloak’: I used to think I wanted to own the Elder Wand but really I think I’m very happy with my own wand and so I would choose to own the Invisibility Cloak. That way I would be able to avoid people whenever I wanted to and also prank them! James Potter had the right idea!
27) Is there any aspect of the books you’d want to change?
– The books? NO!
28) Favourite Marauder?
– ‘James Potter’: A lot of people don’t like James Potter and I can understand why. Honestly though? He is my favourite Marauder and one I feel would have the most character development because Lupin always seems true to himself despite the difficulties he faces, Sirius ‘never really grew up’ and Peter… Just no. He’s not an option at all!
29) If you could bring one character back to life, which would it be?
– ‘Fred Weasley’: How could I not? I would love to also bring back Dobby but in this scenario of only being allowed to bring back one character then it would definitely have to be Fred. For the Weasley’s in all but simply just for George because if there’s one thing I can’t imagine is losing a twin…
30) HALLOWS or HORCRUXES
– ‘Horcruxes’: The opportunity to never die is too appealing to me… So I would chose to make Horcruxes. I might even make a post as to which items I would make into Horcruxes… Now there’s an idea… Would you chose Horcruxes? Even if you wouldn’t, comment below with what items you would pick to be yours!